Museum in the Dark 2023 was a great success!
We look forward to seeing you again in the autumn of 2025
Museum in the Dark on November 9, 10, 17, 18, 24 and 25, 2023
EXPERIENCE ONE MORE TIME THE STORY OF PARATROOPER VINCENT J. SPERANZA
Visiting the War Museum Overloon after closing time and after sunset? That is possible again this autumn during the event 'Museum in the Dark'. On six evenings in November, visitors can immerse themselves in the heroic story of Vincent J. Speranza, who died in August at the age of 98. As an American paratrooper, Vincent was part of the 101st Airborne Division, which saw action in the Ardennes and was involved in the liberation of a concentration camp during World War II.
During these evenings, part of the museum will be "highlighted" in a different way, literally and figuratively! The experience of the museum in the dark is quite different from a museum visit during the day. Visitors are taken into the heroic story of Speranza. Through images, light, sound, storytelling and re-enactment, they become part of this poignant piece of history in a unique way. The evenings guarantee a special experience of a wonderful story in an impressive setting.
VINCENT J. SPERANZA
The storyline that takes center stage 1 more time this edition is that of Vincent Speranza, assigned to the 501st Parachute Infantry Regiment (part of the 101st Airborne Division) as a Machine-gunner. He recorded his experiences during the Ardennes Offensive in a book that is the basis for these special evenings in the dark.
TRIBUTE TO VINCENT
Vincent died earlier this year at the age of 98. As a tribute to him, his story will be told once more during the Museum in the Dark evenings. For Vincent it was very important to pass on his story and especially to give the youth a message. For this reason, children up to the age of 12 are admitted free of charge.
* Per paying adult, 1 child up to 12 years old can visit the event for free. For this a child ticket must be reserved with a time slot in the ticket line.
* We consider the event suitable for children 10 years and older because of the topic and content of the story points.
To the story of Speranza belongs a well-filled plate of spaghetti according to authentic Italian recipe. During this evening it will also become clear why!
Combine a visit to the War Museum Overloon with a tasty 2-course spaghetti buffet in the museum café. The buffet will be served on these six evenings from 18.00 to 19.00, including a tasty dessert and a drink of your choice. The buffet can only be booked in combination with a visit to the "Museum in the Dark" event.*
*For all buffet participants, the time slot 19:00 - 19:30 is automatically reserved to enter the museum and visit the event.
Dates: 9, 10, 17, 18, 24 & 25
Evening openings are from 6 p.m. to 10:30 p.m.
Time slots will be used for good passage. Walk-in is possible until 8:45 pm.*
*No matter what time you reserve as walk-in you may stay at the museum until 10:30 pm.
The museum closes between 5:00 and 6:00 p.m. due to preparations.
TICKET SALES & PRICES
Order your tickets using the button at the top right handside of the screen.
* Tickets are only available online in presale; there is no daytime box office;
* Free parking is possible in the parking area of the War Museum, from there the route to the museum will be made clear with signage;
* We work with time slots, walk-in on these six evenings is possible until 20:45;
* The museum is open until 22:30, the museum café is open until 23:00;
* During the visit there are plenty of opportunities to have a snack or drink;
* The event takes place both indoors and outdoors, so please consider warm clothing;
* The evenings involve a partial opening; the program takes place mainly in the Military Hall;
* Visitors should be mindful of loud noises when attending the event with small children and/or dogs;
* Recommendation; we consider the event suitable for children 10 years and older because of the topic and content of the story points.
* Per paying adult, one child up to 12 years old is allowed to visit the event for free. This requires a child ticket with time slot to be reserved in the ticket line. We check this at the entrance.
* The official language is Dutch.